Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Self appointed Supreme Court Judge

 The Defense of Marriage Act

Just for the record, I have no problem with same sex marriage with just one minor exception.  I do not believe anyone should be compelled to perform such a marriage against their will.

I further believe that laws banning same sex marriages may very well be unconstitutional.  However because I am not a Supreme Court Judge, my opinion does not mean squat, and the opinion of The President of The United States does not either.

On February 23, 2011, Attorney General Eric Holder released a statement from Obama and Holder on behalf of the US Department of Justice stating the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) was unconstitutional.  It stated, in part:

After careful consideration, the President has concluded that given a number of factors, including a documented history of discrimination…that DOMA, as applied to legally married same-sex couples…is therefore unconstitutional. Given that conclusion, the President has instructed the Department not to defend the statute in such cases. I fully concur with the President’s determination.

By stating he will not honor legally ratified Amendments of the Constitution, Obama openly rejects the rule of law and openly refuses to carry out the Oath of Office for US President:

If he were to challenge this law in a legal manner, this would at least respect our institutions.  But to simply declare a particular law “illegal,” is in its self illegal.   If  his action is allowed to stand, it will set a precedent for future presidents to simply declare any law they disagree with as being unconstitutional.

Here is what the Constitution says in Article II, Section 1

Before he enter on the execution of his office, he shall take the following oath or affirmation: “I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States.”

I’m no legal scholar, but even I can understand that.

Now that I think about it, I believe there are a couple of Federal Laws pertaining to immigration that this administration openly refuses to enforce.

No comments:

Post a Comment