Friday, November 23, 2012

HOBBY LOBBY; My two cents worth






A Federal judge rejected San Francisco-based Hobby Lobby’s request to block part of President Barack Obama’s signature healthcare plan that would require the arts and crafts chain to provide insurance coverage for morning-after and week-after birth control pills to employees.



My first point is what the hell birth control has to do with health care in the first place.  They are two separate matters and should not be tied together.

My second and most important point is; Hobby Lobby is a private entity and entitled to run their business how they see fit.  If you don’t like it, don’t work there and don’t shop there but leave them to their faith and their OWN business.  This man is running his business according to his religious beliefs.  Our constitution guarantees everybody freedom OF religion, not freedom FROM religion. 
  
This is no different than if I was a vegetarian, and I decided I wanted to open a vegetarian restaurant that didn’t offer meat on the menu.  A patron comes in to my business wanting meat.  I politely say I don’t serve meat as I’m a vegetarian and don’t believe in eating meat.  Should the meat eater have a right to sue me or should he just go elsewhere that serves meat?  Should workers that I hire sue me because there’s no meat on their lunch break?  I say the answer is “NO”.  Work somewhere else or bring you lunch, do business with someone that aligns with your values.  There are enough businesses to cater to everyone.

Typically, individuals start/build corporations and businesses.  Ethics and values are critical to success and typically come from the owner(s) experience and core beliefs.  If the owner(s) core beliefs are Christian-based, then so be it.  In a free market, I have the choice to patronize that business or not to patronize.  Again, in a free market, I don’t care what they do with their money….it’s theirs, NOT mine!  In this case, it’s not the money; it’s the MORAL question of supporting a practice that this business owner believes MURDERS innocence.

SO, WHAT IS HE TO DO?  Well, obviously the first thing he’s going to do is take this all the way to the Supreme Court for a ruling.  I believe the Supreme Court will rule in his favor IF the ruling comes before Obama has the opportunity to appoint another left wing extremist to do his bidding.

And if I’m wrong and the court rules against him, then what will he do?  The way I see it, he will then have three options.
  1. Follow the orders of our Marxist federal government, which I don’t think he will do.
  2. Cut all of his full time employees to a 30 hour work week.  ObamaCare only applies to employees working over 30 hours per week.
  3. The most drastic option would be to go out of business and shut the company down. 
Any of these options would be most unfortunate so let’s all hope he gets a favorable ruling from the Supremes…

No comments:

Post a Comment